What are the three types of Industrial Packaging?
There are 3 levels of packaging: Primary, Secondary and Tertiary.
- The packaging that most closely touches a product, often referred to as “retail packaging.”
- Its main goals are to protect the product and inform or attract a customer.
- What's considered to be primary packaging depends on the product.
- The packaging used to ship products already in primary packaging.
- Its main goals are to protect products and provide branding during shipping.
- It's also used as display packaging in retail locations such as grocery stores.
- As you can see, primary and secondary packaging sometimes overlap.
- Secondary packaging can overlap with tertiary packaging as well.
- The packaging used most often by warehouses to ship secondary packaging.
- Its mail goal is to properly protect shipments during their time in transit.
- Tertiary packaging is typically not seen by consumers.